Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Baby and Big Sister Gifts





When K and I go back to the US to visit my parents, one of his favorite people is the little neighbor girl, Izzy. He loves Izzy and would blindly follow her around if he could. Izzy is nearly four, but always so sweet and kind to K. Her parents are also so incredibly friendly, sweet and welcoming - it's no wonder Izzy is the way she is!

This last time we were there, Izzy's mom was pregnant. She was such an adorable pregnant mom!! Soon after we left, their little boy, Adrian, was born. (Congratulations Kristen and Sal!!!)

I wanted to make him something, but boys are just so difficult!! In the end, I settled on a pair of bibs.




At our peak I was running through a few a day, so I figured they might bs useful. My favorite bib of K's Velcro-closed on the side which made it super easy to get on and off. I knew I wanted to make similar ones, so I used K's old one as a pattern.




I really wanted to do one that looked like Adrian was wearing a tie. I don't know why I had the idea or why I was so hell-bent on doing that, but I was. I really wanted it to look like a shirt a man would wear to work - collar and everything.




The collar bit was a tad difficult, and a bit wonky on the side, but I think it turned out fine.

Again, I don't know why, but I also wanted to have a "Hello my name is..." tag on a bib. I seriously have no idea why all these work/conference things were stuck in my mind. Weird.




As it turns out, bibs are small and the "Hello my name is..." tag was TINY!! I ended up only being able to fit a bit of the text, but again, I think it gets the point across.

As Izzy is still just a little girl, I thought I should make something for her too. I settled on a fabric flower necklace. I think it's super cute and want one for myself. It was a snap to put together. I show you the steps below.




It makes a cute corsage-looking bracelet as well.




I started out with a cute little button, some jersey cloth cut into circles the same size as the button (about 12 of them), ribbon and hot glue.




First string the ribbon through two of the button holes, making sure the button is strung on close to the center of the ribbon.

Then glue each circle in half and the half again so they make rounded triangles.




Once they are all glued up, start gluing them to the button. Make sure the petals all go the same direction. Once you get four on, glue another four the same way, but shifted over so they don't sit right on top of one another.




Once that is done, glue a few more into the middle so the top isn't just flat.




And you're done!! I really should make another for myself ;)

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment