Monday, June 25, 2012

Mini Lemon Meringue Pies





On Saturday night, we all went over to K's friend's house for dinner. The mom asked if I could bring dessert - she knows I love to bake - so I got thinking and remembered I bought some mini pie tins when I was in the US last Spring.

I am a total sucker for anything mini, so I have been excited to use these. I decided on Lemon Meringue Pies because I love lemon in the summer (and meringue any time of the year).




I used my mom's recipe for the crust, filling and meringue. It is always delicious! I'll post the recipe below, but it's quite simple, really.

Start with your pie crust. Roll the crust into the pan, weigh it down and then bake. I baked them for slightly less time than usual since they were minis.




While those are baking, work on the lemon filling. It starts out pretty bland looking.




But, add some eggs, lemon rind and juice and voila! delicious, lemony yellow filling.




To be honest, I wasn't sure of the timing here, but I made sure the crusts were (mostly) cooled and then filled them. At that point, I busted out a meringue, topped the pies and popped them in the oven. (I didn't take any photos of this as I was worried about the filling cooling and the whole project going to pot, that I just did this bit as soon as possible.)

Each mini pie is 1/4 of a regular one, so we split one per couple (and I brought a third along just in case). K wouldn't touch it, but his friend loved it!! I felt bad not bringing the fourth for him.




We ended up having a great time. The little boys played together so well and it was so nice seeing Y talk with the dad - I just adore this family!! I'm looking forward to Wednesday when we all go out to a soccer game together.

And here is the recipe. (I don't know for sure, but I assume it is taken from some cookbook. It is not my original, nor likely my mother's. I'm not trying to rip anyone off, but I'm putting K to sleep as I write this and can't run off and call my mom.)

Ok...
Pie Crust:
1 1/2 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar
113g shortening (or butter)
4-5 tablespoons water (I usually don't need this much, but just give it a go)

Whisk all the dry ingredients. Add the butter and mix with your fingers until the flour is like small peas. Slowly add water until the dough holds together.

Roll it out and place it in the pan. Poke holes with a fork. Put tin foil on the bottom bit and top with beans or rice (or pie weights if you are that lucky - I use rice :( )

Bake at 450F for 10 minutes. Pull your tin foil out and let cool.

Lemon Filling:
1 1/2 cup sugar
3 tablespoons cornstarch
3 tablespoons flour
Dash of salt
1 1/2 cup hot water
3 egg yolks
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 teaspoon lemon peel
1/3 cup lemon juice

Put first four ingredients in a saucepan. Gradually add the water stirring constantly over high heat until it boils. Reduce the heat and cook for two more minutes. Remove from the heat.

Put the egg yolks in a small bowl and beat slightly. Add a bit of the hot mixture, stir, then pour the yolks into the saucepan. Bring to a boil and cook for two minutes stirring constantly. Add butter and peel. Turn off heat and slowly add lemon juice. Mix well.

I poured it straight from here into the pans.

Meringue:
3 egg whites
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
6 tablespoons sugar

Beat whites, vanilla and cream of tartar until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar mixing until stiff peaks form. Spread over the filling.

Bake at 350F for about 12 minutes.

Let it cool and dig in!!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment