Monday, June 18, 2012

Cheesecake Redux

Last week I had friends over and asked Y what he wanted me to make. His first answer was "cheesecake." To which I answered, "no."

Given that he is a wonderful father to K, I decided that he deserved his cheesecake. Saturday night he went out with friends and I stayed home sick. I put the time to good use and once K was down for the night, I got to bakin'!

I soon realized that we were out of tin foil (a necessity for cooking the cheesecake in water). Crap! I googled what would happen without the water and the general consensus was that the cake would crack. I figured since it would be covered in fruit anyway, I should just go along with it.

Lo and behold, it turned out just fine.

Being the nice wife that I am, I let Y sleep in on Sunday. While he was still in bed, I topped the cheesecake with fruits - kiwis, strawberries, oranges, cherries and mini-grapes.

I researched a bit more about the glaze situation since I wasn't exactly stoked with the results last time, and settled on going the French route - preserves with a tiny bit of water mixed in.

It seems the standard is apricot preserves, but I didn't have any. I had pear, however, and figured it would be clear and taste just as nice.

I put a few tablespoons of the preserves into a small saucepan and added the tiniest bit of water. Then stirred it over low heat until it was liquid. Then I just poured it over the fruits and used a brush to make sure everything was fully covered.

As it cooled, it gelled back up, but not to a gelatin-y point, just as a nice covering. It looked glossy, which is exactly what I wanted. To top it off, it tasted just lovely! This will definitely be my go-to from now on. Glaze problem solved!!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment