Thursday, October 31, 2013

Halloween - Monster Bunting




Happy Halloween! As part of the decorations for K's party, I made a monster bunting. This is a really awful photo of it, but it is quite cute and super duper simple. I started by drawing triangles on the leftover felt from the monster juice box covers. I was able to use almost all of the felt that I bought, which was great because I am pretty sure I have few uses for purple and green felt.


When I cut them out, I ended up with 28 triangles - this made a really long bunting.


I bought two, two-meter rolls of orange and white gingham ribbon. Starting on one end of the ribbon, I hot glued on the triangles, alternating colors. Once I got to the 14th triangle, I stopped, glued the ribbon together at the start of the bunting and started again using the second length of ribbon, this time working backwards. That is an awful explanation, but the idea was to make it perfectly centered and seamless.


Here is a close-up of the part where I glued the ribbons together. You can see it if you look closely enough.


I also had some leftover googly eyes, so I randomly glued those on as well. It looked so cute hanging in the doorway of K's playroom, but it was too long and didn't work well.


Now it goes across the entire living room.


I also made an orange and black paper bunting. I made this one at the beginning of the month before I was pressed for time, and I thought it would be a good idea to sew it. It worked, but it took way more time than had I just used the hot glue gun.


For this one I started with small sheets of black and orange construction paper, cut them in half diagonally and then sewed them to three meters of ribbon.


From the back of the bunting (inside the kitchen) you can see the white stitches. I didn't really mind this since I am really the only one in the kitchen, but if you wanted to keep it a bit cleaner looking, you could sandwich the papers between another ribbon.


Today was Halloween night and part of me really regrets not trying to organize a trick-or-treat thing for K. I keep thinking, "next year I will do it; he's not quite old enough." Let's be honest though, the kid is three and a half. He's prime age for that. Instead I made him mini Jack-o-lantern cheeseburgers. Not nearly as good as a bag full of candy. 


This little one, however, is just happy about life - candy or cheeseburgers be damned!

 
Tomorrow is the big party and I still have a ton to do. Wish me luck that the little one stays asleep long enough for me to get a good start on things!

No comments:

Post a Comment