Yesterday I posted about the Geranium Shirt that I made for K's little friend. To go along with the shirt, I also made her a little pair of shorts. I wanted the outfit to be matching, but not too matchy matchy that she couldn't wear the pieces separately. The top could easily be worn with a pair of leggings or other pants or shorts, and these shorts could be worn with lots of different shirts.
I used a chambray fabric for the shorts. The pattern I used was Dana's Kid Shorts, which I had in my arsenal of patterns. I used the racer shorts cut, but made them a tiny bit shorter than suggested and then added a little ruffle in the same fabric as the shirt to make up the difference.
The shorts are simple to put together. I zig zagged all of the inside seams so that they would look nice and clean. Unfortunately they didn't look as nice as the inside of the shirt, but what can you do?
Then I added the ruffle. Since it was a gauze fabric, it made such a mess on the inside.
Once it was cleaned and zig zagged, however, it looked all nice and neat.
The final step was the waistband. I didn't know how big to make the waist, but K is really skinny so given that she is a bit smaller than him, I just used a length of elastic that would fit him and hoped for the best.
I added a little tag to the shorts (the shirt had one too). I say this all the time, but I really just need to get some tags done up. This is getting ridiculous.
Here is the completed outfit. I tried it on K (who was none too pleased) to see how it looked and it was adorable. I didn't have the heart to take a photo of him in it - you'll just have to trust me on this. I hope the little girl liked the outfit more than K did!!