Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Congratulations Graduates!


On Sunday my little brother, Alejandro (T), and his girlfriend, Bhakti, graduated from Purdue University with engineering degrees. I'm so proud of my little brother and what he did during his four years of uni. While I had a great time during college, looking back on it, I wish I would have been more involved in some ways. Jandro was very involved in his fraternity and different organizations, got great grades (which led him to landing a great job!), and yet still has great stories of friendships and parties. He's a star!!

To help these two and another good friend of theirs, Hermes, through finals, I sent a package of cookies and other snackies to them. A while back, Bhakti had said something to the effect of, "I like sugar cookies, but for the same amount of calories, give me some chocolate." So I did. I whipped up a batch of chocolate chip sugar cookies for the kiddies.

I'd found the recipe ages ago on a cookie blog I find amazing. It sounded like a good idea, so I gave it a go. The dough worked up quickly, but then I had to add the chocolate chips. As I've mentioned before, we don't have chocolate chips readily available and if you can find them, they are crazy expensive. Usually when a recipe calls for chocolate chips, I just break up a few bars and call it a day. Since these cookies were going to be rolled out and then cut, however, I knew the chunks would have to be small. I started by putting them in my food processor.


This did not work.


I dumped them out and started chopping away. This was way faster than I'd imagined and worked surprisingly well.


The dough is a bit darker than on the original blog, but I imagine it's because some of my chips turned into slivers and got mixed in really well.


Regardless, the dough rolled out and cut super well. I was actually a bit surprised.


K had helped me make the dough, roll it out and cut it. He was so excited to be making cookies to send to T and Bhakti - he ADORES them! His favorite part was pulling the scraps away and using the spatula to put the cookie on the tray. A few got a tad wonky, but he was having such fun I just decided to go with it.


The next morning after I'd cooled and frosted them, I thought he'd have fun decorating with me. I was wrong. I had to beg him to do a few. You would have thought I'd asked him to clean up his toys the way he was dragging his feet. He gave up after about three of them.


I took the liberty of drawing the rest of them. I did one with his fraternity letters (is that what you call those?) on it.


A few with inspirational sayings.


And because he's coming to visit us in a few weeks, one to show how excited I am!


I packed the cookies into boxes as per usual, but unfortunately some of them broke on the way there. I'm not sure if it's because of the shapes (stars and hearts seemed to be the most likely to break) or because of the cookie dough itself, but I don't think I've ever had cookies break when sending using my regular sugar cookie recipe. My brother said it was kind of fun, as it was like a bunch of mini puzzles, so at least there's that.

 
Congratulations to the two of you and to all the other recent graduates out there! Way to go!!

No comments:

Post a Comment