Tuesday, November 13, 2012

T-Shirt Fail


 
A few months back, I had a total cookie fail. On Sunday, I had a T-Shirt fail. Total bummer. I have a shirt that I got a while back on a visit to my parents' house that I really love. The only problem is that it is a tad bit short for my tastes.
 
 
I used the shirt to make a pattern and then add a little strip to the bottom to add a bit of length and create a bit of a "bubble" effect.
 

 
I cut up the fabric and was all ready to get sewing.
 
 
Everything went really well. I did my little tissue paper trick to keep the seams straight.
 
 
It sewed up perfectly! The shirt was super fast as there are only two seams to sew to make the shirt, plus the bottom strip. I laid it next to the original and it looked just like it. I was so super excited to try it on.
 



 
I put it on and was so sad. The neckline is totally weird. It sticks up instead of laying flat against my shoulders and collarbone. You can kind of see what I mean in the first and last photos. Booo!!!! I really have no idea why this happened. The only thing I can think of is the difference in fabrics. The original is two-way stretch jersey and super thin, but the one I made is one-way stretch and a bit thicker. Could that alone make the neckline fall so strangely!? What a huge bummer!!!!
 
I still love the idea of the shirt, especially the back of it. I think the seams down the back are so cute. I'm a bit tempted to buy some new jersey and give it another go, but there are a million other projects I want to get done first. This shirt is getting booted to the end of the line again. Poor thing.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment