Thursday, May 17, 2012

Eclairs





A few weeks ago I came across this recipe for eclairs. They looked so sweet and delicious that I've been wanting to try them since first seeing them.

I gave them a go on Tuesday and unfortunately they didn't turn out as well as I had hoped. I was a bit bummed, to be honest.

The first step is to make the filling. It's basically a simple vanilla pudding.




Mine ended up way too thick and not as smooth as I would have liked. I'm not sure if it is an issue with the recipe or something I did. One potential issue is that I used leftover egg yolks from last week's cake, so maybe they had lost some of their liquid?

The next step is to make the pate a choux.










I've done this many times in the past and it has always worked out. It did this time as well, but they didn't bake up all beautiful like Sweetapolita's. Mine were uneven and simply not cute.




They plumped up a bit after filling them, but still there was nothing cute about them.




The final step is to glaze them. I mixed in about a tablespoon and a half of water and it was (what I thought) a good "glaze" consistency. When I put it on however, it just slopped down the sides all runny and sad.




In the end, they tasted ok. I certainly wouldn't say they were amazing, but they weren't bad either. Just kind of...meh.

I'm halfway curious to try them again, but I doubt I will because in my opinion, they just weren't worth it. I'd just as soon make cream or pudding puffs where you don't have to worry about prefect shapes.

If you give it a try and yours work out, please let me know. I think I'd be way more inclined to give them a second chance!!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment