Friday, February 10, 2012

Mama and baby horse




As I've mentioned before, K and I will be heading home to the US for about a month starting in March. I am getting more excited day by day! While we are there, my niece will have a birthday.

When K and I were there during the summer, my niece was super into horses and things that come in family sets. In the same magazine that I mentioned in yesterday's post, there was a pattern for a patchwork horse. I thought it would be perfect as her birthday gift.

The more I thought about it, however, I thought making a baby horse to go with the mama horse would be super cute, so after making the mama I shrunk down the pattern a bit and made a baby.

I decided to do more neutral colors for the mama.




And I gave the baby a lot of pinks and purples, two of her favorite colors.




I also gave the baby pink stitching near each of the seams to make her more youthful and lively. You can't see in the photo, but the blue dots on the purple fabric are glittery, as are some of the flowers and pigs on the blue fabric. I think she's adorable.

They were surprisingly quick to make. I picked out the fabrics and sewed them together over a nap time and had them sewed up quickly after Kan went to sleep. I finished the following day with the ribbon bows.







Those actually took ages! I folded the bottoms up twice and hand sewed them shut, then sewed them all together, then added the button and finally stitched them onto the horse. Although that bit was a lot of work, I'm so pleased I did it. They add so much to the finished horse. I wish I would have taken a photo without them to show the difference, but alas you'll just have to take my word for it.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment