Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Truck Backpack




A few days ago, I posted about a pouch I made for my best friend, Lisa's birthday. I didn't mention it in the last post, but Lisa has a nearly two-year old little boy who loves trucks. I wanted to send something along for him as well, and decided that K's "hated backpack" would be perfect. I mentioned in the original post about K's backpack that he absolutely hated it. Luckily, his hatred was short-lived and now it is one of his main go-tos. Before we leave the house, particularly if he knows we are going to be gone for the day, the backpack gets filled with a few favorite toys and his water, and we are off. He loves it very much and I am hoping that Lisa's little guy will like his as well.


Much like the LeSportsac rip-off, the insides of this bag are finished with bias tape. This is both a blessing and a curse, given my fear of bias tape, as well as my ineptitude. It does, however, make the construction of the bag very simple. Cut out the pieces, zig zag the main and lining together for all of the pieces, sew on the straps pieces and the zipper bits and you are ready to sew.


Sewing it, too, is not much of a challenge. The bottom corners can get a bit dicey for me, but the rest is a breeze.


The challenging bit is the stinking bias tape. I really don't know what my issue is, but every time I use bias tape, I have to unpick and resew bits. I really have to work this out.


Once the bias tape is finished, however, so is the bag.


I imagine the bag may be slightly big for the little guy right now, but I couldn't resist making it for him. Plus, I adore the fabric and knew something cute could be made from it!

 
In case he hated the bag, just like K first did, I threw in some little trucks. Just after it arrived, I got the two sweetest videos in my inbox - Lisa's little boy loved the trucks!! He didn't run away from the backpack screaming as K did the first time he saw it, so I consider the bag a success as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment