Friday, February 1, 2013

A Bun in the Oven

So you may have noticed that things on the blog have been slightly lacking for the past few months. For the most part, I have kept up with my one baked good, one sewed/crocheted/made item per week, but there were a few times it didn't happen. It's because I'm growing a person and I'm exhausted.

That being said, I managed to whip up some unbelievable cinnamon rolls yesterday. OMG are they delicious.

When we were in Tokyo, my brother and I passed by the Cinnabon in Roppongi. I really wanted to get some, as it smelled divine, but I haven't been too stoked on eating recently. We walked by the only Cinnabon in Japan without getting any. I'd been kicking myself ever since. Until, that is, I remembered one of my favorite baking bloggers, Sweetapolita, did some cinnamon rolls a while back. I followed her recipe and it did not disappoint!

On Thursday morning, I woke up early and got to work, as a few of K's friends were coming over to play and have lunch (cinnamon rolls were going to be for dessert). I had this adorable idea to take a photo of the rolls (read: buns) in the oven and use that as my first photo, but I totally forgot to take it. Uhhh, ever heard of pregnancy brain?!?

Anyway, I was really nervous to try these as I generally don't do bread-type things by hand - I have my trusty breadmaker for that. But, I gave it a go, and was super surprised that it really wasn't too difficult.

It all starts with dissolving the yeast in warm milk, then sugar, eggs, and salt.

Then you mix in the flour. This is where I started to get nervous. I'm not sure if I've ever kneaded anything in my life. The dough was really sticky (did I just need to be patient?), so I ended up adding a bit more flour every now and then. Once it got to something maybe resembling a ball, I let it rise.

While it was rising, I mixed the filling (actually K did this) and made the frosting (my little brother helped with this).

Once the rising was done, I rolled it out and smothered it in margarine, although I didn't use as much as recommended.

Next I covered that in cinnamon and brown sugar.

A lot of it.

Finally I rolled it up, sliced them and laid them on a cookie sheet. I didn't space them anywhere near two inches apart, but figured it would be ok. They got really big while rising, but it was fine.

Finally I baked them and smothered them in frosting. They were delicious. I haven't had a Cinnabon in years, but these came pretty close to the original if my memory serves.

They got approval from my little brother, a few good friends, as well as Y who said it was one of the best things I'd ever made - even rivaling the turtle cheesecake, which was a huge hit with him.

The main problem is that, as above, I'm just not too into food at the moment, so eating a whole one was a serious challenge.

I had the easiest pregnancy ever with K. I only had bouts of morning sickness when I was really tired or really hungry, then I ate a single saltine cracker, and all was right with the world. Not this time. I pretty much just feel nauseous all day. It's particularly bad starting in the early evenings, just as I'm about to prepare dinner. Eating past about 4 in the afternoon is a struggle. Eating before that is iffy. Although, it has been getting better recently.

My lack of wanting to eat has led to a one pound weight gain so far. My stomach, however, is as big as it was when I was six months pregnant with K. It's gotten so big, so quickly! I'm huge. I'm also scared for what will happen to my stomach over the next six months.

In the meantime, please be understanding if things slow down considerably over here - I am extremely tired. I will keep baking and making things because I love it, I just need a bit more energy. In a similar vein, please also understand if the things I make start to be more baby-based. Now homeboy (girl??) is on the brain!!

No comments:

Post a Comment